Blogging has evolved into one of the most effective methods for connecting with your target audience. Every month, readers leave over 77 million comments on sites on WordPress alone!
There could be several reasons for starting a blog. Maybe you’re enthralled by the prospect of writing useful, yet easily consumable articles about your personal hobbies. Perhaps you wish to connect with your company’s target demographic. In either case, this medium has the potential to be very lucrative.
So, if you’re thinking about starting a blog but are overwhelmed by the numerous blogging platforms available, we’re here to help. Let’s have a look at some of the top blogging platforms and the features they provide so you can pick the one that best suits your needs.
Best Blogging Platforms in 2022
1. WordPress: One of the best Blogging Platforms
When it comes to blogging systems, WordPress is without a doubt the most popular. WordPress, which debuted in 2003 and has since grown to power about 40% of all websites on the planet, has taken the blogging world by storm.
WordPress is available in two flavours: WordPress.org and WordPress.com. It’s easy to mix them up, so here are some essential differences to keep in mind:
WordPress.org is the original version, which was first released in 2003.
It’s a self-hosted, open-source Content Management System (CMS). You may tweak themes, add third-party plugins, and use it to create your own powerful website. This version is used by many businesses and professional bloggers since it provides a variety of services that WordPress.com does not.
WordPress.com is more of a website builder that is hosted exclusively for you. It runs on the same platform as WordPress.org, but with fewer customization options, such as built-in plugins and themes.
his edition is better suited to hobby bloggers or those who are just starting out in the world of blogging.
WordPress.org is the blogging platform we’ll be talking about because it has more features. You’ll need to sign up for a WordPress hosting provider like Bluehost to develop a website because it’s a self-hosted platform.
- Gives you total control over every aspect of the website you build using the CMS.
- Allows you to utilise a variety of customizations (both free and paid) to improve the UI and UX of your website.
- Search engine friendly, implying that your SEO efforts will show up on search engine results pages (SERPs)
- There are over 58,000 free plugins available that can be used to enhance your website with features such as contact forms, image galleries, resources, and much more.
- It is necessary to have some domain expertise in order to manage your own website and work with a hosted provider.
- It is necessary for you, as the website owner, to take care of your own backups and security settings.
- If the website is constructed significantly, it will require the support of external service providers to help run it.
Wix is one of the greatest solutions for beginners who wish to establish a blogging platform and complement the services given by WordPress.com. This hosted platform has a unique feature: a drag-and-drop website builder.
This tool allows beginners and small enterprises to create their own websites without having to know how to code!
Wix also has a Wix Blog App that you can use to add blogs to your website easily. Hundreds of free themes for different types of blogs are available on the platform, allowing you to enrich your website.
With the help of an Artificial Design Intelligence (ADI) builder, their drag and drop editor allows website owners to easily customise any Web page on their site.
MUST READ: Best SEO plugins for WordPress in 2021
This builder makes use of an in-built questionnaire that evaluates your responses and uses AI to provide you with all of the assistance you need to create the precise website you want.
Wix was founded in 2006 as a comprehensive platform allowing anyone (especially those with no prior understanding of coding) to create their own website. Wix has grown to become one of the most popular blogging systems in the world, with over 180 million members worldwide.
- Allows third-party apps to be integrated, as well as a variety of themes to personalise your website.
- Drag-and-drop tools are included to assist builders in creating the finest version of their website. There is no need to know how to code.
- One of the quickest ways to set up a blogging platform.
- If you have a free account, it will show adverts and the Wix logo on your website.
- The number of Wix-compatible third-party apps is limited.
- Contains e-commerce features that are only available through the platform’s premium plans. To have access to the platform’s e-commerce services, you’ll need to select a pricing plan based on your needs.
- It is difficult to update a website template once it has been selected.
Blogger is one of the most well-known blogging systems. Google bought Pyra Labs, the company that created this free blogging platform, in 2003. Google revamped Blogger into the platform it is now after acquiring it.
Blogger is an open-source blogging platform that is absolutely free to use. To make a website, all you need is a Google account. This is a particularly useful blogging platform for those who do not know how to code or construct a website.
After logging in, the user simply needs to choose a domain name and begin blogging. All you have to do now is create your material after doing your research, add relevant photographs to the material, and publish. It’s that simple!
Blogger also allows users to add widgets to their blogs and modify HTML, which is a great tool for novices and something that many other blogging systems don’t. Because this platform is a Google service, users have access to a variety of Google add-ons to help them improve their website.
Blogger, on the other hand, is a platform that many users, particularly beginners, outgrow after a while. They move on to other platforms that can help them develop a blogging website with many more features once they have a good understanding of how the blogging world operates.
- It is possible to find a free blogging platform.
- No prior knowledge of coding or website construction is required.
- Google Drive and other Google services are smoothly integrated.
- No third-party apps can be used with it.
- There are only a few blogging tools available on the platform.
- It hardly ever adds new features or updates, making it tedious to use after a while.
MUST READ: How to do Keyword Research in SEO 
Medium may be the best option for you if you’re seeking for a blogging platform with built-in audience and social networking tools. This platform has amassed a sizable community of bloggers, subject matter experts, journalists, and other professionals.
It’s almost become its own social networking platform, with users able to communicate with and create connections with a variety of publications on the site. On the platform, readers and publishers can leave comments on posts, follow accounts, share blogs, and recommend posts they enjoy.
You may join up for a free Medium account and begin posting your blogs right away. You may also comment on other posts and link to additional publications that Medium and its users have curated.
Many bloggers are drawn to this platform because it permits third-party embedding, which means you may include content from other websites such as YouTube, Twitter, Vimeo, and others on your blog.
The website also allows visitors to check out the expected reading time for each piece and bookmark it for later reference or reading. Medium also allows users and publishers to track how many people have read their content, as well as authors to see where their traffic is coming from.
- Starts your page without requiring any setup.
- Allows you to connect with a large online community of thousands of readers and creators.
- Ideal for bloggers who would prefer develop and publish content than establish a website.
You are not permitted to have your own distinct domain name. You’ll be given a profile page, similar to those found on other social networking platforms such as Facebook, and it will serve as your domain.
Because the Medium community is built on the platform, if you lose or remove your blog, you will lose your audience.
For a non-techie blogger, Squarespace is the ideal blogging platform. This tool, like Wix, allows you to design a website by dragging and dropping elements. Small businesses and new bloggers who are wanting to develop an online presence typically use this platform. Squarespace currently hosts over 2.5 million websites!
Squarespace comes with a lot of choices for customising your website. Furthermore, the platform has an analytics dashboard that allows you to track your website’s activities, including anything from the number of clicks to where your visitors are coming from and which pages they are most interested in.
Squarespace also has the unique capability of allowing website owners to expand their services for eCommerce or business purposes, which is why it is such a popular choice among professional and commercial bloggers as well as small businesses.
Squarespace operates on a subscription basis, with two plans available: Personal ($16/month) and Business ($26/month). Both options provide unlimited storage and bandwidth to website owners. Many marketing features, as well as the ability to create an online store, are included in the Business Plan.
- There are a variety of enterprise-level professional templates to choose from. The platform has a variety of themes and designs that may compete with large websites.
- In the Business Plan, it provides hosting and domain names with HTTPS or SSL, as well as eCommerce businesses.
- Easy to use and has a lot of features for novices.
- Can only use the platform’s built-in features
- Limits the number of third-party integrations possible.
- In the Personal Plan, a restricted number of contributions are permitted. If users want additional contributors or access to more advanced features like marketing tools, an eCommerce store, and so on, they may need to upgrade to the Business Plan.
Tumblr is the blogging platform for you if you want to be a visual blogger, which means you want to create images, infographics, GIFs, and other visual stuff to go along with your material. This platform is extremely popular with the younger generation. Tumblr, which began as a microblogging network, makes it simple to construct a free website. There are over 496 million blog accounts on Tumblr!
This platform boasts a big community of content creators and bloggers, and every article on the platform contains features like reblogging, sharing, upvoting, and other built-in sharing tools. The platform, on the other hand, does not place a high value on text content.
It mostly focuses on visual media such as GIFs, infographics, and photographs. Tumblr might not be the best platform for you if you’re a dedicated writer who wants to do exclusively text-based blogging. Another disadvantage of Tumblr is that you will not own any of the stuff you post there, including the domain name.
For bloggers who want complete control over their work, including copyright rights, this could be a warning flag. It is, however, a good place for visual bloggers to start and acquire an audience belonging to a specific demographic before moving on to platforms that allow you to construct your own website with complete control over any content you publish on it, thanks to its enormous community.
- On the platform, there are integrated social media sharing components as well as built-in sharing capabilities.
- It’s a microblogging platform that allows you to easily produce and share audio, GIFs, movies, and photographs, among other things.
- A big network of content providers and bloggers who are easily accessible
- The domain name and the material you post on the platform are not yours.
- It’s a complicated process that necessitates knowledge of multiple tools and coding if you want to back up your Tumblr blog or import it to other sites.
- On the network, text blogging isn’t given much weight, which is a disadvantage for writers.
LinkedIn’s 260 million monthly active users are looking for a professional networking environment. Anyone with a LinkedIn profile can upload articles or blogs for free to reach their contacts and the broader active audience. It’s more of a forum for industry professionals to connect than a blogging site.
Businesses, freelancers, and bloggers can use LinkedIn to not only reach out to their target audience via articles and blogs, but also to engage and connect with them. Any business or professional blogger would dream of having an audience on their own website, and the platform already has one.
Another advantage of blogging and articles on LinkedIn is that it has the greatest potential for boosting your influence and creating a community of engaged readers.
Anyone with a LinkedIn account can utilise the platform’s built-in editor, which is quite similar to that of WordPress. Users will be able to generate and publish high-end B2B content as a result of this.
So, if you want to create business blogs or anything else linked to the B2B arena, such as management, technological services, and so on, LinkedIn is the perfect platform to use. Furthermore, due of LinkedIn’s large readership, your content will be more accessible than on any other site.
- A hub for a large community of potential readers and business contacts.
- Has the highest level of involvement in published blogs of any platform.
- Has business professionals monitoring the platform 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for well-crafted material that can reward publishers with job possibilities, business chances, and more.
- A vibrant group of professionals and users who will interact with your content. This gives you the chance to improve your material while also starting a conversation, which is one of the key aims of blogging.
- Third-party embedding available to embed other sites to improve the content’s quality
- Your profile serves as a website for you. There is no option to develop your own publishing website on the platform.
- The number of themes and designs available to you is really limited.
- You won’t have control over your traffic and will be subject to the platform’s algorithms.
- To reach a larger audience, you will need to post or publish on a frequent basis.
Choose the Best Blogging Platform For Yourself
Now that you’ve learned about the top blogging platforms available, it’s time to choose one based on your blog’s expected goals and vision.
Consulting a reputable SEO firm like Digital Universe can provide you with a much more in-depth understanding of how to use search engine algorithms to boost your website’s visibility. All that’s left to do now is decide which blogging platform best suits your vision and get started on your exciting blogging adventure!
Also Read :